2020/2021 Budget: May Revise
Governor Newsom released the May Revise budget on Thursday, May 14th, as expected it proposes massive reductions and program eliminations. The changes in the estimated cost for the major Human Services programs are primarily related to the increased assistance provided for the corona virus disease (COVID-19).
The May Revision reconsiders the January proposals and addresses them in three main ways:
- Some January proposals have been withdrawn- Some examples include the System, Therapeutic, Assessment, Resources, and Treatment (START) training model; Provider Supplemental Rate Increase proposal for Early Start Specialized Therapeutic Services, Independent Living Program, and Infant Development program; decrease caseload ratio for children under 5; the Performance Incentive Program.
- Some January proposal that have been maintained- some examples include the development of five enhanced behavioral health homes at DDS and proposal to maintain an online CalFresh application.
- Some January proposal that have been modified- some examples are the restructure and increase parental cost-sharing programs for six months.
Other areas that will impact the funding for the Department of Developmental Services, is in the form of rate reductions which includes the enforcement of the 14-day Uniform Holiday Schedule (UHS) and decrease funding for regional center operations.
For further and detailed information on the May Revise budget highlights for the Department of Developmental Services, please visit their page at:
These proposed cuts and reductions would be rescinded if additional federal funding is provided. Here is how you can make this happen:
- Call or email your state representative and share your testimony of how these cuts will impact you, your family, or your business. Budgetary hearings are well on their way and they need to hear from you!
Here is the link to the May 24th Senate hearing: https://sbud.senate.ca.gov/subcommittee3
Here is the link to the May 26th Assembly “Committee of the Whole” hearing: https://abgt.assembly.ca.gov/sub1healthandhumanservice
- Take 3-minutes to call or email your federal representative and request to support extra funding for California: http://www.elarc.org/Home/Components/News/News/3106/17?backlist=%2f
We must all act now to make a difference!